Saturday, March 21, 2015

What a mistake!

I am great at losing things....well, putting things in safe places and then forgetting where those safe places are. And I do my fair share of frogging. But this time I have really done it.

The piece I have been working on...Quaker Christmas II...was coming along nicely. I had finished page one, and was trying to decide whether to continue across or down the design. That's when I finally looked closely and realized what a big mistake I had made. This is a companion piece to Quaker Christmas, and I just assumed that the dimensions would be the same, wider than longer. Well, you can see where I am going here. I was very very wrong. This piece is longer, rather than wider. My fabric is big enough, just going the wrong way! I just about cried. The only thing I can do now is rip out all my stitching and start over, but I just don't have it in me right now.


So, I have decided to pick up a different piece for this SAL. On January 1, I barely started A Stitcher's Resolution from Heartstring Samplery. This is the piece I will be working on from now on until it is finished. Here is what it looked like on that first day (I haven't stitched on it since). I am hoping to get some more stitches in this weekend.

Onward and forward and all that....always read your patterns carefully before starting a project. Never assume. I know I never will again!
 
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
lynda

4 comments:

  1. What a horrible mistake, Lynda. How discouraging. A Stitcher's Resolution will be lovely when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If its any consolation, I had a pattern that said to use 14 count fabric in black. It;s a brilliant design called The Sorceress. When I was in my LNS I looked at it but didn't like the shade of black (how picky am I?!), instead I decided to get the 18 count as I don't like the coverage of 2 strands on 14 count. Started on the single floss colours, was way into the project when I realised that it was meant to be 3 strands DMC on the 14 count. THEN, I find that some stitches are meant to be 2 strands of one colour plus 1 strand of another. Oh well, I'm improvising now aren't I!! You'll be right too. Is there any way you can use the Page 1 you have done for something else and start with new fabric, might be easier than ripping?? Hope it works out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how heartbreaking!! I've made similar mistakes and have literally cried over it...all that work. I'm so sorry Lynda...I hope your next piece gives you no problems and great pleasure! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I can feel your pain Lynda.. I started a piece last year and stitched a good wee bit of it over 2 and then realised it should have been over 1 (no wonder the fabric didn't seem anywhere big enough!) - out it all came..

    ReplyDelete